As in the milk industry, organic and free-range eggs are often bad-mouthed as dangerous or less beneficial. In truth, organic eggs are a much safer and healthier alternative.
For one, the living conditions of commercial chickens are inexcusable. These units, called CAFO’s (confined animal feeding operations), have chickens living in their own filth, often with eleven or so birds crammed into a single cage.
Here are more reasons why organic eggs outweigh their commercial counterparts:
- 2/3 more vitamin A
- 7 times more Beta Carotene
- 2 times more omega-3 fatty acids
- 1/3 less cholesterol than their commercial counterparts
- Rich in vitamins A, D, B12, B2, niacin, and folate
- Contain two carotenoids, which help prevent and cure cataracts and macular degeneration, as well as help fight cancer
- Contain choline, which is necessary for cell structure, function, and signaling
- Generally come from chickens with better living conditions on small farms; free-range
- 3 times less vitamin E than organic eggs
- Contain traces of arsenic from their genetically-modified (GMO) feed.
- 7.7 times greater chance of contamination than free-range eggs
- Come from genetically-engineered chickens
- 23 percent of commercial farms with caged hens tested positive for salmonella
- The chickens are pumped full of synthetic hormones, which can transfer to the eggs
- Can stem from inhumane living conditions, with dead and sick birds left in cages beside the chickens still producing eggs
- Commercially-raised chickens are often full of antibiotics. Their eggs, too.
Questions? Contact us by phone at (423) 899-8422 or by email (naturesfinestnutrition (at) gmail.com). Or feel free to check us out on our website or on our Facebook page. We hope to hear from you soon!
Please note: We do not directly or indirectly give medical advice or prescribe through alternative treatment. We recommend that people contact their doctor if they need a medical diagnosis. We assume no responsibility if anyone decides to use this information, which is of historical value, for they are choosing to prescribe for themselves. Healing is sometimes a slow process, and we suggest that you do not stop taking any medications without the guidance of a doctor.
Joseph Mercola, M.D. “The Truth About Eggs – What Commercial Egg Farmers Don’t Want You to Know.” Published 21 November, 2012.
“http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/11/21/truth-about-commercial-egg-farming.aspx” Accessed 17 October, 2013.
Erica Kannall. “Benefits of Organic Eggs.” Updated 01 February, 2014.
“http://www.livestrong.com/article/67236-benefits-organic-eggs/” Accessed 17 October, 2013.
Ben Kim, MD. “An Organic Egg Really Does Do Your Body Good.” Updated 22 March, 2009.
“http://drbenkim.com/articles-eggs.html” Accessed 17 October, 2013.