WHAT IS OIL PULLING AND HOW DOES IT WORK?
Oil pulling is an Indian folk remedy originating thousands of years ago. It involves swishing a tablespoon of oil in your mouth and through your teeth for ten to twenty minutes. This targets plaque by absorbing bacteria and dissolving it before it can become stuck to your teeth.
HOW TO OIL PULL (WITH COCONUT OIL)
- Put about a tablespoon of oil in your mouth.
- Swish the oil around your mouth for ten to twenty minutes, pushing and pulling it through your teeth to clean every nook and cranny.
- Spit the oil into a trash can. If you spit into your sink, the oil will harden and clog your pipes.
Note: coconut oil can be solid at room temperature, so you may have to wait for it to melt in your mouth before you can begin swishing.
For best results, do this on an empty stomach.
Don’t swish too forcefully. If the muscles in your mouth become sore, lighten up for a few minutes. You may also try experimenting with less oil if the soreness continues.
It’s important to spit out the oil. You don’t want to swallow it because it is full of bacteria and nasty things.
BENEFITS OF OIL PULLING:
- Boosts energy
- Increases metabolism
- Decreases joint pain
- Decreases PMS symptoms
- Clearer skin
- Decreases allergies
- Decreases headache symptoms
- Relieves bleeding gums
- Whitens teeth
- Strengthens teeth, gums, and jaw
- Prevents bad breath
- Moisturizes lips, mouth, and throat
- Relieves migraine headaches
- Alleviates hormone imbalances
- Reduces redness and swelling in bones and joints
- May help with gastro-enteritis
- Aids in the reduction of eczema
- Helps support normal kidney function
- Reduces congestion
- Improves vision
- Promotes normal sleep patterns
- Relieves hangover after alcohol consumption
- Aids in reducing discomfort
- Helps detoxify the body
Questions? Contact us by phone at (423) 899-8422 or by email (naturesfinestnutrition (at) gmail.com). Or feel free to check us out on our website or on our Facebook page. We hope to hear from you soon!
Please note: We do not directly or indirectly give medical advice or prescribe through alternative treatment. We recommend that people contact their doctor if they need a medical diagnosis. We assume no responsibility if anyone decides to use this information, which is of historical value, for they are choosing to prescribe for themselves. Healing is sometimes a slow process, and we suggest that you do not stop taking any medications without the guidance of a doctor.
Kris Gunnars. “Oil Pulling With Coconut Oil Can Transform Your Dental Health”. No date.
< http://authoritynutrition.com/oil-pulling-coconut-oil/ > Accessed 08 October, 2014.
Dr. Daisy Sutherland. “The Benefits of Oil Pulling”. Published 17 July, 2012.
< http://drmommyonline.com/the-benefits-of-oil-pulling > Accessed 08 October, 2014.
Dr. Edward F. “The Health Benefits of Oil Pulling”. Published 09 April, 2011. Updated 05 March, 2014.
< http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/oil-pulling/ > Accessed 08 October, 2014.